When it comes to breast augmentation, women have multiple choices regarding the size, type and placement of the implants. The best way to determine whether subglandular (over the muscle) or submuscular (under the muscle) positioning is best for you is to schedule a free, one-on-one consultation with our board-certified plastic surgeon at Bella Cosmetic Surgery in Maryland. However, there are several aspects you can consider prior to your appointment.
The Pros of Over the Muscle Breast Implants
Subglandular implant placement allows for breastfeeding in the future but will require more images when you have mammograms. Some of the benefits associated with the subglandular technique include:
- The breast surgery is easier to perform and less invasive as the implant is placed under the breast glands but over the pectoral muscles.
- There’s no risk of distortion when you flex.
- Post-operative healing tends to be less painful and requires less time because the underlying muscle is left intact.
- Our plastic surgeon can create more cleavage using the subglandular technique.
Over the muscle breast implants may look less natural than submuscular and could cause your skin to stretch over time. If you plan to have a breast lift, subglandular implants may increase your risk of losing nipple blood flow.
The Pros of Under the Muscle Breast Implants
Submuscular placement is when the breast implant is positioned partially underneath your pectoral muscles in your chest. Under the muscle placement has the advantage of looking more natural because your breast tissue and muscle are covering the implant. Other benefits of submuscular placement include:
- A lower risk of visible implant rippling.
- Better imaging with mammograms.
- The muscle maintains implant support which reduces the strain on your skin.
- A future or simultaneous breast lift is easier with submuscular placement because the blood flow to the nipple is preserved.
Under the muscle breast implants typically require a longer recovery period following surgery and you may be limited on the size of the implants.
The right implant placement for you also depends on whether you choose silicone or saline implants.
If you’re interested in breast augmentation, please contact our board-certified plastic surgeon in Maryland today at 301-567-6767 to schedule your initial consultation. Dr. Chiaramonte serves patients in Fairfax and Alexandria, Virginia as well as Washington DC.