If you are interested in having a tummy tuck, you are probably wondering what recovery is like. While the process is relatively straightforward, planning your recovery ahead of time will make it easier to heal and get back to your daily routine. At Bella Cosmetic Surgery, Dr. Michael Chiaramonte always provides detailed recovery guidelines so that you can look and feel your best sooner rather than later.
To adequately recover from a tummy tuck procedure, make sure you do the following:
- Wear your compression garment as instructed. On the day of your surgery, you will be given a compression garment to help protect the incision area. This will not only reduce swelling but also hasten your recovery.
- Avoid standing up straight. Since your incision areas will be vulnerable for the first week or so following your surgery, you should not straighten your abdominal muscles. After the first week, you can gradually straighten your stance.
- Refrain from most exercise. Heavy lifting, running, stretching, and other physical activities should be avoided for several weeks. However, you may want to get up and walk around a little bit every day to improve your blood flow. After about six weeks, you can start exercising again, but try not to overexert yourself.
- Eat nutritious meals. Having a nutrient-rich diet over the course of recovery will give your body the fuel it needs to heal. Try eating foods with high fiber and low sodium, which will help reduce swelling and make going to the bathroom easier.
- Take some time off from work. For patients who have a sedentary job, it is possible to return to work within one week. For those with a more physically demanding job, you may have to wait 2-3 weeks.
By following these simple steps, your tummy tuck recovery will be much easier. As long as you follow Dr. Chiaramonte’s post-operative instructions, you can start to enjoy your results in just a few months.
Schedule a Tummy Tuck Consultation Today
If you want to have a tight, toned stomach appearance, call Bella Cosmetic Surgery today at 301-567-6767 to schedule a free consultation with Dr. Chiaramonte. We welcome patients living throughout Maryland and Virginia to our office in Oxon Hill, MD.