It can be overwhelming to find the right plastic surgeon offering cosmetic procedures in the Maryland area. It’s crucial to understand that offering cosmetic procedures and having the experience and expertise to ensure your safety, comfort and satisfaction are often not the same thing.
If you are looking for a plastic surgeon in Maryland who you can trust to safely provide the beautiful body contouring and breast augmentation results you desire, contact Bella Cosmetic Surgery today online or at (301) 567-6767 to schedule a consultation with board-certified plastic surgeon Dr. Michael Chiaramonte.
What’s the Difference Between a Cosmetic Surgeon and a Board-Certified Plastic Surgeon?
Anybody with a medical degree can offer cosmetic surgery options. However, only someone who has met the rigorous standards of the American Board of Plastic Surgery can call themselves a board-certified plastic surgeon.
Although the terms “plastic surgeon” and “cosmetic surgeon” are often used interchangeably, it’s important to understand the differences between the two. While both may offer aesthetic services, there is a significant difference in their qualifications and what you can expect in terms of safety and results.
A board-certified plastic surgeon:
- Must pass an extensive written exam followed by an in person oral examination given by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.
- Have a total of 10 to 12 years of postgraduate preparation.
- Must perform a three to six-year residency followed by two to three years of training.
- Must receive certification by the American Board of Plastic Surgery, the only legitimate plastic surgery board recognized by the American Board of Medical Specialties.
A cosmetic surgeon:
- Completes minimal training, sometimes through weekend courses
- Often focuses on another field of medicine, such as family medicine, dermatology or ophthalmology.
- Is not required to complete a rigorous examination in order to be called a “cosmetic surgeon”.
- Is not required to undergo any specialized training.
Placing your trust in a cosmetic surgeon instead of a board-certified plastic surgeon can have devastating consequences. Depending on a cosmetic surgeon’s level of expertise, there is no way to predict whether you will end up with an adequate tummy tuck or breast augmentation, or if you will be left scarred, deformed and unhappier than before.
The most critical aspect of deciding what surgeon to trust is doing your homework. Always exercise caution and ask for credentials. Credentials could include diplomas or certifications showing the completion of professional memberships, residency programs and medical school. All of this information should be easily online or found in the surgeon’s office.
Why Choose Dr. Michael Chiaramonte?
Dr. Michael Chiaramonte is a board-certified plastic surgeon with more than two decades of proven experience performing body contouring, facial plastic surgery and breast surgery. He is the chairman of the Department of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery in Southern Maryland Hospital Center and staffs Johns Hopkins, Suburban Hospital and Southern Maryland Hospital Center.
Dr. Chiaramonte knows that the best results stem from patient-focused discussions and customized care. During your initial consultation with Dr. Chiaramonte, he will spend time to fully understand your unique situation and goals. He will offer the solutions he believes will best match your needs.
If you would like to schedule a consultation with our board-certified plastic surgeon at our Maryland office, please complete the form on this page or call (301) 567-6767 today. Bella Cosmetic Surgery welcomes patients from Washington DC as well as Alexandria and Fairfax Virginia.