What Does Rhinoplasty Mean?
As one of the most central features on your face, your nose plays a significant role in your appearance. Even subtle changes to the size or shape of your nose can have a dramatic impact on the way you look. This is one of the main reasons why rhinoplasty, also called nose surgery or nose job, consistently ranks among the top plastic surgery procedures performed each year.
If you aren’t happy with the appearance of your nose, consider yourself in good company. Many people experience self-consciousness over this important facial feature. At Bella Cosmetic Surgery, we offer rhinoplasty for men and women who would like to improve the appearance of their nose.
Dr. Michael Chiaramonte has over two decades of experience performing nose surgery. He understands the characteristics that are commonly present in all beautiful noses. He also knows the subtle differences in the features considered attractive for male and female noses. He’ll listen carefully to your concerns and goals in order to devise a customized treatment plan that will deliver the beautiful outcome you desire.
You can learn about your options and receive individualized treatment recommendations by speaking with Dr. Chiaramonte in person. Please call 301-567-6767 today to schedule a consultation. We serve patients in Maryland, Washington DC and Northern Virginia.
What Concerns Can Rhinoplasty Correct?
Rhinoplasty can be performed on any part of the nasal area, and it can help you address a wide range of aesthetic concerns, including:
- Nose that is too small
- Nose that is too large
- Tip that is too small
- Tip that is too large, wide or droopy
- Irregularly shaped nose
- Crooked, bent or unattractive bridge
- Nostrils that are too narrow or constricted
While nose surgery will help you improve the appearance of your nose, it often has the additional benefit of creating better overall balance and harmony with your other facial features. Often, making subtle improvements to the chin will further enhance this facial harmony. For this reason, Dr. Chiaramonte may recommend chin augmentation in conjunction with nose surgery to achieve the best possible results.
In some instances, nose surgery is also performed to improve breathing issues associated with a deviated septum. This procedure is commonly referred to as a functional rhinoplasty.
Who are the Ideal Candidates for a Rhinoplasty Procedure?
If you would like to improve the appearance of your nose, you are most likely a good rhinoplasty candidate. In general, ideal candidates:
- Are in good overall health
- Have realistic expectations for the outcome of the procedure
- Have a fully matured nose (this typically occurs around age 14 for girls and age 16 for boys)
- Are unhappy with the appearance of their nose or need to fix a functional issue such as a deviated septum
If you smoke, you’ll need to be willing to quit prior to surgery and throughout the recovery period since smoking can negatively impact healing and results. If you have been a chronic cocaine user, you may not be considered a good candidate for nose surgery.
Your Customized Rhinoplasty Procedure
Nose surgery is typically performed on an outpatient basis under general anesthesia. Depending on the complexity of your surgery, it will take between 1-2 hours to complete.
Based on your needs and goals, Dr. Chiaramonte may recommend one of the following techniques for your nose surgery:
- Open rhinoplasty – An incision is made across the columella (soft tissue between the nostrils). Bone, soft tissue and cartilage is reshaped to achieve your desired appearance.
- Closed rhinoplasty – All incisions are made inside the nostrils. Bone, soft tissue and cartilage is reshaped to achieve your desired appearance.
- Limited rhinoplasty or tip-plasty – This technique is ideal if you are strictly looking to change the appearance of the tip of your nose.
- Nostril reduction – This procedure is performed to reduce the size of nostrils that are very large or flared out. Dr. Chiaramonte can perform nostril reduction using either an open or closed technique.
What is the Recovery from Nose Surgery?
Dr. Chiaramonte will provide you with detailed aftercare instructions. It’s important that you follow these very carefully to ensure proper healing and the best possible results.
Make sure you arrange for someone to drive you home after surgery since you will still be experiencing the lingering effects of anesthesia. Drink plenty of fluids and get a lot of rest for the remainder of the day. We also recommend that you have someone around the house to assist you during the first day of your recovery.
You should expect some discomfort after surgery, but this can be alleviated with cold compresses and pain medications prescribed by Dr. Chiaramonte. There will be light swelling and bruising around the eyes which will gradually subside over the first two weeks of recovery.
In most cases, you can resume your day-to-day activities within a couple of weeks. However, it may take as long as six weeks before you can resume exercise and other strenuous activities. Make sure you avoid contact sports and other activities which place you at risk of sustaining a blow to the nose until Dr. Chiaramonte tells you it is safe to do so.
While you will notice initial results as swelling and bruising begin to subside, it may take as long as six months for your final results to become apparent.
How Much Does a Rhinoplasty Cost?
The average cost of a nose job performed at Bella Cosmetic Surgery is between $4,800 and $7,300. Of course, depending on your unique situation, your nose surgery fees could be higher or lower. Dr. Chiaramonte will discuss specific costs with you during your consultation.
Bella Cosmetic Surgery offers a variety of financing options to ensure your procedure fits into your budget. During your consultation, our staff will review these options with you and help you fill out the necessary paperwork.
- "The staff are friendly and professional. You feel comfortable being there as soon as you walk in the door. Dr. C did a beautiful job! I could not be any happier!" - M.B.
- "Entire office was professional, personal and welcoming. Any concerns and questions were answered immediately. Dr. Chariamonte was very gracious at every visit. I would refer to Bella CS in an instant." - T.P.
- "Dr. C and the Bella staff are like family from the beginning to the end of your process, helping you with every concern. My opinion of Dr. C is he truly enjoy making you happy with your vision. I would go to him again. Thanks Bella Staff." - T.A.
Contact Our Maryland Plastic Surgeon
Please contact Bella Cosmetic Surgery using the form on this page or call 301-567-6767 today to schedule a rhinoplasty consultation. We serve patients in Maryland, Washington DC and Northern Virginia.