Board-Certified Plastic Surgeon in National Harbor Accepting New Patients Near Washington DC, Arlington, Fort Washington, Maryland & Virginia
Removing unwanted hair can be a hassle. Grooming options such as tweezing, shaving and waxing can be both time consuming and painful. In addition, you need to repeat these tasks regularly as your hair grows back. If you’ve grown tired of tending to unwanted hair on a regular basis, laser hair removal may be right for you.
At Bella Cosmetic Surgery, we offer laser hair removal as part of our med spa services. Our highly experienced team of aestheticians uses the most advanced laser hair removal technology available to ensure excellent results that are delivered safely and comfortably.
You can find out whether you’re a good laser hair removal candidate and receive individualized treatment recommendations by speaking with our aestheticians in person. Please call 301-567-6767 today to schedule a consultation. We serve patients in Maryland, Washington DC and Northern Virginia.
Why Should I Consider Laser Hair Removal?
There are a variety of reasons why you may want to consider laser hair removal. Shaving daily isn’t an ideal solution if you have a busy schedule. In addition, this process often results in skin irritations or ingrown hairs. You may also find that your skin becomes bumpy or blotchy from shaving on a regular basis.
While waxing provides smoother, longer lasting results than shaving, this process isn’t permanent. As a result, you will still need to wax on a somewhat regular basis to maintain your results. In addition, waxing can be painful. Over time, this can become a tiresome.
With laser hair removal, painful waxing sessions or skin irritations from shaving will no longer be part of your regular grooming experience. Most importantly, you’ll enjoy long lasting results that will allow you to remove this chore from your busy schedule.
Laser hair removal is a versatile procedure that can be used on just about any area of the body, including your:
- Bikini line
Benefits of Laser Hair Removal
Laser hair removal is one of the most popular nonsurgical cosmetic treatments performed every year, and for good reason. This minimally invasive procedure provides you with a variety of benefits, including:
- Precise results – The concentrated laser light energy can effectively target unwanted hairs without damaging surrounding skin.
- Fast – The state-of-the-art lasers used for your treatment can address an area the size of a quarter in one second. As a result, removing unwanted hair from a small area such as your upper lip can be completed in a matter of minutes, and a larger area such as the legs or back can be completed within an hour.
- Safe – We use FDA-approved lasers that adhere to the highest safety standards.=
- Permanent hair removal – Your unwanted hair can be eliminated in roughly 4-8 treatments. Once this hair is removed, it won’t grow back.
Am I a Candidate for Laser Hair Removal?
Laser hair removal treatments target the pigment in your hair follicle. Therefore, the most effective results are typically achieved with individuals who have light skin and dark hair. If you have white or gray hair, laser hair removal may not be as effective.
However, you may still be a good candidate for the procedure if you have darker skin tone. The Light Sheer diode laser system is effective with all skin types, including darker skin. For darker skin types, treatment will typically involve a lower intensity of laser energy and a longer duration in order to ensure optimal levels of safety.
In order to achieve the best results, we recommend that you take the following steps prior to treatment:
- Avoid tanning (sun exposure and tanning beds) for at least two weeks prior to treatment to ensure you maintain the greatest difference in pigmentation between your skin tone and hair follicles
- Avoid using spray-on tanning products or bronzers for at least a week prior to treatment since the metallic ingredients in these sprays can potentially intensify the laser’s heat, resulting in burns
Your Laser Hair Removal Procedure
Laser hair removal is an outpatient procedure with no downtime. However, several treatments are needed because hair grows in three distinct cycles:
- The active or growth cycle (anagen)
- The dormant cycle (catagen)
- The fall-out or shedding cycle (telogen)
Laser hair removal is most effective during the anagen (growth) cycle. Your hair is at different stages all the time, so the procedure must be repeated to ensure all hairs are treated while they are in the growth phase. In general, it takes between 4-8 treatments to achieve your desired results.
The pigment in the hair follicle absorbs the laser light and converts the light to heat. The heat, in turn, damages the follicle and destroys its ability to re-grow. With our laser, your skin is compressed and cooled with a patented contact-cooling hand piece, the ChillTip, in order to protect the skin.
Contact our Maryland Med Spa
Please contact Bella Cosmetic Surgery using the form on this page or call 301-567-6767 today to schedule a laser hair removal consultation. We serve patients in Maryland, Washington DC and Northern Virginia.