Many Maryland patients hoping to gain a youthful, flat stomach aren’t sure which plastic surgery procedure will give them the best results. At Bella Cosmetic Surgery, we’ll work closely with you to make sure you fully understand your options, and our board–certified plastic surgeon, Dr. Michael Chiaramonte, will help you choose the best procedure for attaining the shape and confidence you desire.
Liposuction and tummy tucks are two popular body-contouring procedures that can improve the shape of your abdominal area. Neither should be considered as a weight-loss tool. There are significant differences between the results, recovery time and candidacy requirements of the two procedures, and while they can be combined successfully, tummy tucks and liposuction cannot simply be used interchangeably.
- Results: Tummy tucks address issues such as stretch marks, excess abdominal tissue and sagging skin that liposuction alone cannot. The surgical procedure is more invasive, and leaves a bigger scar than liposuction, although the scar is easily hidden below the bikini line or can be incorporated into an existing cesarean scar.
- Recovery time: The initial recovery for a tummy tuck is typically two to three weeks. It may take several more weeks before you can resume any strenuous activity. You may need to request anywhere from one to three weeks off from work to recover, depending on the physical demands of your profession.
- Candidacy: If you are in relatively good shape and have stretch marks or extra skin on your abdomen, you are likely a good candidate for a tummy tuck.
- Results: Liposuction involves a small incision followed by the insertion of a device that breaks down and sucks out fat cells from the abdominal area.
- Recovery time: The recovery time is initially only a few days to a week, and you can return to strenuous activity in a few weeks. Most patients return to work three to five days following the procedure.
- Candidacy: You are likely a good candidate for liposuction if you are within 30% of your preferred weight, have realistic goals for the procedure and do not have any major medical conditions.
If you are considering a tummy tuck or any other plastic surgery procedure in Maryland, please contact Bella Cosmetic Surgery by completing the form on this page or by calling 301-567-6767 today for a free consultation. We proudly serve patients from Washington D.C and Northern Virginia.