April is Stress Awareness Month. It’s an important time to evaluate the presence and influence of stress in your life. People always say that stress can age you, but is it true? From anti-aging treatments to a facelift to lift sagging skin, we have an array of procedures aimed at some of the effects of aging. Additionally, you should take steps to reduce stress so that you can maintain that healthy glow.
Here are a few ways researchers believe stress may be linked to the signs of aging and the appearance of your skin:
- Bags under your eyes. Chronic stress can cause you to lose sleep, and poor sleep is linked to a loss of elasticity in your skin (Healthline). Under-eye bags have several contributing factors, including loss of elasticity. Therefore, not getting enough sleep because you’re stressed may cause or worsen these pesky eye bags.
- Wrinkles and fine lines. In addition to sleep loss, chronic stress can directly affect the proteins in your skin that affect elasticity, according to Healthline. Wrinkles form as the skin becomes less elastic.
- Expression lines. If you are stressed and worn out, you may start frowning and furrowing your brow. These facial expressions repeated over and over again begin to create a fold in your skin, such as frown lines that show up between the eyebrows.
- Facial redness. When you are acutely stressed, your face may flush as your blood pressure rises and your breathing becomes rapid. Although this type of redness will most likely be temporary, it’s not fun to deal with when it occurs.
Prolonged stress has also been linked to serious issues like depression, heart disease, headaches, and stroke. Taking steps to reduce and mitigate stress is important.
Of course we all know that reducing stress may be easier said than done. There are all kinds of tips for doing so, and you should consider talking to your doctor or a mental health professional for individualized methods. In general, here are some basic stress reduction techniques:
- Exercise regularly
- Eat healthy food
- Prioritize good quality sleep and sleep hygiene
- Let go of situations you cannot control
- Take a break from stressful situations
These are just a few of the many ways experts recommend reducing stress in your life.
Treatments to Combat the Signs of Aging
Fortunately, there is an array of cosmetic treatments – both surgical and non-surgical – that restore the vibrance of your skin and face. Dr. Michael Chiaramonte is an experienced cosmetic surgeon who can discuss all of your options with you.
If you are interested in facial treatments to rejuvenate your beauty and youthfulness, please call Bella Cosmetic Surgery in National Harbor at 301-567-6767.