At our Bella Cosmetic Surgery office in Maryland, breast augmentation is one of the most popular cosmetic procedures. Breast augmentation is an effective means to address various issues and can be tailored to you and your specific needs. Whether you’re looking to have breast implants after a mastectomy or wish to correct asymmetrical breasts, our plastic surgeon can give you the beautiful shape you desire.
Dr. Michael Chiaramonte is our board-certified plastic surgeon whose goal is to provide you with quality care and individualized attention. By working with you every step of the way beginning with your consultation, Dr. Chiaramonte learns what your ideal body image is and uses his extensive experience and knowledge to achieve your goals.
If you’re interested in learning more about breast augmentation, contact our office today at 301-567-6767 to schedule your consultation. Bella Cosmetic Surgery serves patients in the National Harbor area of Maryland, as well as in Virginia and Washington DC.
- Why Choose Breast Augmentation
- What is the Breast Augmentation Process?
- Breast Implant Options
- Am I a Candidate for Breast Augmentation?
- Is Breast Augmentation Safe?
- Breast Augmentation Revision
- The Cost of Breast Augmentation
Why Choose Breast Augmentation?
Everyone has individual reasons for considering breast augmentation. Often used after a mastectomy, it can also be a great decision for women looking to fix size and shape-related issues, as well as give your confidence a boost. No matter what your reason, Dr. Chiaramonte and our caring, committed staff will guide you through the process to achieve your desired results.
Breast augmentation surgery can help with issues related to:
- Decrease in breast size and volume due to childbearing
- Decrease in breast size and volume due to significant weight loss
- Decrease in breast size and volume due to the aging process
- Unflattering breast shape and size due to genetics
- Embarrassment from asymmetrical or abnormally developed breasts
- Feeling like your breasts aren't adequate for your lifestyle
Breast Augmentation after Pregnancy
Pregnancy and nursing can cause tremendous changes to the breasts—both in structure and appearance. Once you have finished breastfeeding, your breasts may exhibit changes such as:
- Lost volume
- Loose skin
Ideally, it is advised to postpone any breast augmentation until after you’re finished having children. If you’ve had a breast augmentation before becoming pregnant, you’re likely to be able to breastfeed and nurture your baby just like women without implants. Once you’ve finished with the breastfeeding process, you may find that your breasts have changed and the benefits of your augmentation may be less apparent.
Treating Asymmetry with Breast Augmentation
Breast asymmetry can be difficult to conceal in clothing and bathing suits, and often leaves women feeling self-conscious about their breasts. A minor degree of breast asymmetry is completely normal, and usually unnoticeable under clothing. More severe instances of breast asymmetry can be caused by conditions such as:
- Mastectomy, Lumpectomy, or other surgery for breast infection or cancer
- Acquired breast asymmetry resulting from weight gain or pregnancy
- Developmental breast asymmetry in which one breast simply grows longer, wider or larger than the other
Depending on your personal goals, there are several ways to approach the correction of your breast asymmetry. Breast augmentation can increase the size of the smaller breast, or enlarge both breasts to an equal, desired sized. Sometimes though, breast reduction surgery may be performed on the larger breast instead. A breast lift, along with nipple reduction or reshaping, can be used to help ensure both breasts are attractive and equally shaped.
What is the Breast Augmentation Process?
When considering breast augmentation, you may be wondering about how the actual surgical process proceeds. First, you’ll be given anesthesia in the form of intravenous sedation or general anesthesia. Dr. Chiaramonte will discuss the options with you and decide which one is best for your procedure. The surgery then begins with making an incision in one of three locations:
- Inframammary: An incision in the folded crease below your breast. This type of incision provides ample access to your pectoral muscle and tissue during the procedure and is typically used for larger implants and for silicone gel implants.
- Peri-areolar: An incision around your nipple, or areola. This option can be an ideal option for use with both saline and silicone breast implants. This type of opening may also be used to make adjustments to existing implants or as an aid to additional procedures such as a breast lift.
- Transaxillary: This incision gains access through your armpit. It allows implants to be placed endoscopically into the pocket underneath your pectoral muscle. This avoids any potential scarring on the breast itself and the wound heals rapidly.
Finally, your incisions are closed with layered sutures in your breast tissue and then an adhesive or surgical tape is used to close the skin. After the procedure your breasts will be wrapped in gauze and an elastic bandage to minimize swelling and support your breasts as they heal.
Dr. Chiaramonte will then go over post-surgery instructions and prescribe any medications necessary. It’s recommended that you refrain from strenuous activity for the first few days after surgery. Slight pain may be noticed for a few days and swelling will begin to fade within a couple weeks. Over the next few weeks and months your incision lines will fade, but the results of your breast augmentation will be noticed immediately.
Breast Implant Options
Modern breast implants are marvels of design and medical engineering. They're safe, well-made, and excellent at helping you achieve your aesthetic objectives. Our board-certified plastic surgeon has decades of experience with breast implants and understands how to safely place them in a way you will find natural-looking and aesthetically pleasing.
Dr. Chiaramonte will recommend a breast implant placement option based on your unique goals in order to provide the right the type, size, and style. The three types of breast implants we offer are:
- Silicone: This popular option is composed of a cohesive gel which closely mimics the look and feel of natural breast tissue.
- Saline: This implant is filled with a salt-water solution which is very similar in composition to human body fluids. Saline implants can be somewhat firmer than silicone gel breast implants.
- Gummy Bear Implants: This implant uses a highly cohesive gel made from a molecularly cross-bonded adhesive silicone gel and formed in a teardrop shape. While it does require a slightly larger incision and may feel more firm to the touch, these implants replicate your natural breast contours.
At your preliminary consultation, the pros and cons of the common types of breast implants will be discussed with you. Our caring and responsive team can guide and support you throughout your entire process so that you receive the optimal outcome for your aesthetic goals.
Am I a Candidate for Breast Augmentation?
When considering breast augmentation surgery it's important to have realistic expectations about what the procedure can accomplish and how it will affect your life. Breast augmentation is a great procedure for those looking to enhance or correct the shape of their breasts. If you have issues with sagging or other breast issues, Dr. Chiaramonte will discuss additional options with you.
Ideal candidates for breast augmentation:
- Are in good physical health and near your ideal weight
- Are not pregnant or breastfeeding
- Have breasts that are fully developed
- Have enough natural breast tissue to cover the implant
- Have not been diagnosed with cancer or a pre-cancer condition for which you have not yet received adequate treatment
- Have no autoimmune disorders
- Are at least 18 years old for saline implants and 22 years old for silicone implants
To help you decide if breast augmentation can provide the results you're seeking, Dr. Chiaramonte offers before & after photos for your review.
Is Breast Augmentation Safe?
The breast augmentation procedure is exceptionally safe. Every year, millions of women across the world undergo the procedure and experience no complications. Skilled, pioneering plastic surgeons have honed the procedure to the point where every element of it is thoroughly understood. The data is clear that an augmentation performed by a properly trained and educated plastic surgeon is a safe experience.
The breast augmentation procedure, like all plastic surgery procedures, carries with it certain risks, which include:
- Implant rupture
- Capsular contracture
In the event of a saline implant rupture, your body will naturally absorb the saline but there will be a noticeable change in the size and shape of your breast. The silicone shell will need to be surgically removed and replaced with another implant. Silicone implant ruptures are not as obvious, as the cohesive silicone gel will stay within the pocket formed around the implant. This is why we recommend women with silicone implants have an MRI every few years. Many studies have been done regarding silicone implant ruptures and there are no proven health complications.
Our commitment to your well-being and safety is unquestioned and ironclad. We only perform surgeries which are appropriate for you and welcome questions about the safety of all of our procedures.
Breast Augmentation Revision
Dr. Chiaramonte also performs breast augmentation revision procedures to correct complications, which occurred during a previous breast augmentation procedure. If you have experienced any of the following complications with your breast augmentation surgery, you may be an excellent candidate for breast augmentation revision:
- Bottoming Out
- Implant Exchange
The Cost of Breast Augmentation
We understand that money is a significant concern for many women considering breast augmentation. These concerns can make it tempting to choose a plastic surgeon based on cost, not credentials. But this would be a mistake, as your health and safety are too important to trust a surgeon based strictly on the advertised cost of a procedure.
Affordability and safety are not mutually exclusive concepts. At Bella Cosmetic Surgery, we understand the financial strain so many of our patients suffer. CareCredit and American Healthcare Lending both offer a range of options to help you afford your breast augmentation. We’ll work with you to find the right financing option, but more importantly, we offer you the safe breast augmentation experience you deserve.
Breast enlargement costs differ among regions and surgeons. Our average breast augmentation fees typically fall within the range of $6,300 to $6,800. The final cost of your procedure may be higher or lower depending on several factors such as the type of breast implant you choose, the anesthesia used, and any additional treatments performed.
Contact Our Experienced Breast Augmentation Surgeon Today
You don't want a doctor who dabbles in plastic surgery as part of an effort to make a little extra cash. You want and deserve a board-certified plastic surgeon with decades of experience and who has a comprehensive understanding of all the issues involved. Dr. Chiaramonte is a reputable board-certified plastic surgeon who has extensive experience with all aspects of the breast augmentation procedure.
If you are considering having breast augmentation surgery, please contact Bella Cosmetic Surgery today at 301-567-6767 to schedule your preliminary consultation. We proudly serve patients from Washington DC and Maryland, as well as Alexandria and Fairfax, Virginia.